Monday, September 6, 2010

I survived!

It hit me today that we have been here exactly 4 weeks- NUTS!
So you know you’re in Honduras when:
1. You go to sign in and there is a huge tarantula over the door!
2. During communion you look down and realize the bread that’s broken is a tortilla!
3. After each bathroom experience it takes 6 flushes for a success.
4. For the first time in your life you are so amazingly thankful to only have cold showers!
5. You spend your Friday night floating in the sea, watching the lightning strike over the perfectly lit sky, singing worship to 5 shooting stars! Did I mention, with the most amazing little family :)
Many more to come, just a glimpse!
So I made it, praise the Lord! I have a very new respect for teachers! Getting up at 4, riding the bus to and from school with the kids, getting home at 6 just to do lesson plans, and grade work… it will take some time to get in the rhythm. Wednesday I got 3 more new students, and am so excited to be getting to know them. One thing I love about the 6th grade is that it’s definitely the age where you start to try to find yourself. In their journals this week I asked them questions about the adventures they have been on, places they would like to go, and who they want to be?! This week was hard, but even amongst behavioral issues and complaining I see kids that the Lord is going to use in mighty ways! I’m really having to take it one day at a time, celebrate the small victories, and pray for a lot of patience and guidance! Thankful to be able to encourage them and speak into their lives, there is so much opportunity! Also, SO THANKFUL for grace because I feel like I mess it up a lot- very humbling but very good!
Saturday we finally got to meet the group of boys that Harrison fell in love with last year. All of these boys are around 13 years old, full of personality and spunk, but many don’t have support and are only in the 3rd grade! I look forward to hearing more of their stories, but am so encouraged by the way Harrison loves them. They all lit up to have him back! Most of them rode their bikes from French Harbour to West End (like 14 miles) and even though we weren’t allowed to fish, we had a blast swimming and playing on the beach/ eating bailiados !
Another praise, the Lord stirred in conversation today and created an opportunity to reach out to my neighbors. It all stemmed from asking sweet Santos how the kids were doing… one thing led to another and by the end he asked so humbly “do you know anything that would help my son”? This is a really hard thing, especially in the Honduras culture to admit that a kid is special and might need extra/ particular attention. (In order for this to make sense you had to of read a past post about m and by the end he asked so humbly “do you know anything that would help my son”? In order for this to make sense you had to of read a past post about my precious 6 year old neighbor Ederick who has un-diagnosed autism). I definitely continue to pray the Lord would move and bless this family, it’s frustrating when I definitely continue to pray the Lord would move and bless this family, it’s frustrating when you don’t understand what’s going on- but I know Jesus is molding an amazing man in Ederick… he just needs to be understood and invested in! Will keep you posted!
Pray everyone's doing well, as always just want to say how blessed I am by you! Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment