Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Buenas Dias Amigos!

Yes, slowly but surely I am learning some Spanish! The expressions I know I use quite often with a huge smile on my face in excitement! The first weekend off was amazing and much needed. It really starts to set in that you are a teacher when you spend your Friday nights around a table doing schoolwork. Thankfully, everything is more exciting and a bit less overwhelming in that we are walking through it closely and all together! Saturday, Arthur drove Zach, Kelly, Jessica, Jairo, Hulio, Delby and I to West Bay. All I can say it- WOW! West Bay is literally paradise, with the powder sand, crystal clear water, and so much sea life to explore. I would compare snorkeling here to an afternoon hike in Boone, both are incredibly peaceful! We splurged and had a delicious meal, skipped around attempting to play volleyball (hot sand), and were so blessed by meeting a guy named Tristen. Tristen became a believer 3 years ago, and there is nothing more refreshing and encouraging getting to talk about all that the Lord is teaching us, the ways we’ve seen him move, and just the excitement of the walk! He is on Fire! After reading Crazy Love my prayer has been and continues to be that no longer I/ we walk being lukewarm, but instead OBSESSED with Jesus! Sunday we caught a taxi to church, but before met some really interesting islanders at a coffee shop. The nice thing about staying a year is that you can start to be intentional in going back to the same places; to build the relationships that you might not have any other way! Turns out one of the guys is an atheist, but his kids were at the church we went to! Coincidence, I think not J
This week is super busy trying to get the classrooms set up, and everything planned for next week. Open house is this coming Monday and I have a lot to do since I am teaching 6 subjects all together. What an adventure trying to learn the best methods of lesson planning! I will be learning more than the kids I am pretty sure J Can’t wait!
A few things to be praying for- I have had a stomach bug and fever the past few days. Pray for healing, and supernatural energy/ strength! Thankful to have this now versus the first week of school, but defiantly am in need of working hard to get all the preparations done!
Also please pray that the Lord provides a way for families to be able to send their kids to school. One thing I love about the Children’s Palace is that even though it’s private, most of the kids come from middle class families. Right now I only have 7 students, but there are so many families that have been going to the CPBS and want to return- just are waiting for funds! The Lord has handpicked and knows exactly who will be/ needs to be in the classroom, so excited to watch this process!
Pray that our school/ the classroom are a place where kids (and staff) encounter the Lord’s grace, crazy love, and intimacy daily! To be honest I have always been kind of hesitant about Christian schools because I believe we are called to be in the world but not of the world. I can say however that it really is a blessing to experience SO MUCH freedom to celebrate the goodness of the Lord! To be bold and not hold back in the classroom is such an honor!
Thank you so much for being you- so wonderful! Love you friends and family!

5 comments:

  1. Erin, you are such a refreshing celebrant!
    Hope your stomach bug and fever have gone away.
    We start with students next week on the 25th.

    LOve you,

    Helen, Dale, and Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 subjects? Erin you are coming out of there with a world of knowledge. Once you become immune to the stomach bugs you'll become a machine. Hope you enjoy the first week of school, and returning to your favorite first places (like the coffee shop)- Lord knows where you'll end up going throughout the year. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, this is so awesome! I had no idea you were teaching in Honduras. And teaching 6th grade! AWESOME! So excited for you and please know I'm praying for you!

    This is Charity, by the way (for ASU ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!! I'm so glad that your stomach is better now. It seems so strange not to be able to text you!!! I went down to stay with the boys on Wednesday so Jack and Jan could go to Raleigh for a head start on Thursday. I had the opportunity to take Jackson to meet his girlfriend at the NBHS JV football game - except we just hung out in the parking lot from 7 until 8:15 because it was lightening!!! Game was cancelled after all, but Jackson got a visit in with Anna. She's so cute and I had a chance to talk to her mom, sister and play with baby brother!!! We then went to Chick-Fil-A for a bite to eat. Thursday, we took Jason for a physical for sports and then off to Wally World.....:)

    Jan seems to be tolerating this 2nd treatment well. She is so amazing. Tomorrow she plans to go to open house for Jason about 11. Jack will go. They have checked with the school and this seems to be a good time when there is not too much of a crowd.

    Jimmy and I came home yesterday and he cooked his specialty - PIZZA!!! After church today I came home and we had a light lunch then to Food Lion. Was going to make a trip to AC Moore, but it started storming,so I decided to crochet instead.

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend. I pray that things go well for the opening of school.

    Love you, Aunt Ida

    ReplyDelete