Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Start of something GOOD!

After going to sleep at 1am and waking up at 3:30am to scoot our boots to the airport (did I mention my parents are the best?), Mom and I were proud to find both bags to be 49.5 pounds- SUCCESS! I wish I could say the first flight I had really intentional conversation with the kids beside me, but no… I was conked out! A power nap that was just long enough to be overwhelmed with joy and hugs when meeting with Kelly and Jessica in Houston Texas. I am so thankful that the Lord chose us to walk together this year, they’re wonderful! Flying in over the water and arriving to Roatan was breath taking to say the least  Everywhere you look is green, with rolling hills, muy bonita playas (beaches), and such a great mix of races- LOVE IT! Mrs. Nina and Jaime picked us up from the airport and really couldn’t be more gracious and caring! I can tell that as teachers we are going to be so supported and loved on by them. Our first meal was at none other but Wendy’s, and surprisingly I was able to order my salad in Spanish! Where we live is 12 miles from where we will be teaching, which is a 40 minute drive to the Sandy Bay. Our apartments are so much more than what we expected! A few things to get adjusted to have been to not drink the water, bugs galore/ EVEN A CRAB IN THE APARTMENT, to not have ac, and to not be able to flush toilet paper (can cause quite the stink). I am SO THANKFUL however to be living in a clean/ safe place, simply, but so beautifully! My roommate Kelly and I started to unpack a bit, but before we made a dent we decided to get Jess and venture around Sandy Bay a bit. The beach is only a 10minute walk from where we live! Diving in with our clothes on has never felt so good, it’s very hot here. Walking back was an adventure, we not only had guys try to pick us up, but we also had to climb under a barb wired fence to get back in at 7:30pm! It’s been a blessing to have time just to sit still with the Lord, read, journal, and rest in the Lord before starting up orientation. Between going to get groceries, meeting our neighbors, and just walking around I can tell I am held back in really building relationships because I don’t know Spanish. This excites me though because not only will I learn it as I go and get to be creative, but I will also have so much opportunity to see the Lord tear down walls and really be the one moving/ speaking! Zach just arrived from Texas, what a wonderful addition he is! This morning is day one of orientation and I am so excited to get things prepared so that we can start strong! Mrs. Nina’s daughter Prinella joined us in running a couple of errands yesterday; she will be in my class! Apparently my class is crazy, loves to laugh/ talk, and loves Justin Bieber- YES!!

3 comments:

  1. Very, Very good. Heard you skyped with Jackson, Ida and Jan this morning. They were all really excited to get to talk to you. Love ya.. check you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin! You made it! Praise the Lord! I'm so happy that you are settling in well. My heart is with you as you get adjusted to your new surroundings. Your joy is contagious, and I was happy reading your post! I love you and can't wait to read more!

    Philippians 1:3,
    Katie C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin i just have to say that you are one amazing woman! you inspire me so deeply and i agree your joy is so contagious :) i love you so SO much!

    ReplyDelete